Lavender is a beautifully scented plant that is used as a natural remedy for a wide variety of ailments. The most common uses are from lavender essential oil
, which is extracted from the fragrant flowers of the plant.
Some of the many health benefits of lavender are:
- Nervous System: lavender essential oil has a calming and soothing scent and is frequently used to treat headaches, migraines, anxiety, depression, nervous tension and emotional stress.
- Pain Relief: lavender essential oil is a effective remedy for pain relief, reducing pain caused by muscle aches and sprains, rheumatism, backache and lumbago. It is usually massaged onto the affected areas.
- Insomnia: the calming aroma of lavender induces sleep and is therefore used to treat insomnia.
- Respiratory disorders: lavender oil is used extensively to treat various respiratory problems including flu, cold, throat infections, asthma, sinus congestions, bronchitis and tonsillitis. It is usually applied as a vapor on the skin of the neck, back and chest.
- Skincare: lavender is known for its antiseptic and antifungal properties and is therefore beneficial for skin problems including acne, psoriasis and other inflammations. It is used to heal cuts, wounds and burns and is added to chamomile to treat eczema.