This is a simple, but very nutritious and tasty soup. It is made with carrots, which are rich in beta carotene, and coriander, a beneficial phytonutrient.
- 1 tbsp ghee (clarified butter)
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 1 tsp dried ground coriander
- 1 potato
- 1 stick celery
- 6 medium carrots, peeled and chopped
- 1 litre (about 2 pints) vegetable stock
- a handful of fresh coriander
- Heat the oil in a large pan. Add the onion and fry for 5 minutes until soft.
- Stir in the garlic, ground coriander, potatoes and celery, and cook for 1 minute.
- Add the carrots and stock, bring to the boil and reduce the heat. Cover and cook for about 20 minutes, or until the carrots are soft.
- Add the fresh coriander and pour the soup into a food processor, or using a hand-held blender, blitz until smooth.
- Return the soup to the pan, season with salt and pepper to taste, and reheat.
- Serve the soup garnished with fresh coriander.