Tomatoes and basil make a perfect combination. Tomatoes are packed with lycopene - a powerful antioxidant that becomes more abundant when the tomatoes are cooked. Basil also has strong antioxidant as well as ant-bacterial properties, and provides a wonderfully fragrant contrast to the sweetness of the tomatoes.
This soup makes a delicious, nutrient-rich broth that is easy to make and brimming with goodness.
- 1 tbsp butter
- 1 onion, chopped
- 350 g potatoes, peeled and diced
- 450g tomatoes, skinned and sliced
- 900 ml water
- 1 tsp vegetable bouillon powder
- Salt and pepper
- Basil springs
- Heat the butter in a large saucepan. Add the chopped onion, cover and cook gently for five minutes until soft.
- Add the potatoes, cover again, and cook gently for a few minutes.
- Add the tomatoes and cook for about five minutes, stirring from time to time. Do not allow the vegetables to brown.
- Add the water and the bouillon powder, cover again and simmer for about 15 minutes, or until the potatoes are tender.
- Liquidize or blend the soup. Reheat the soup gently and season with salt and pepper.
- Serve the soup garnished with basil sprigs.