An informative article that brings together information that can also be found in Christopher Bryson's extremely well researched video documentary on the same subject which you can watch in full on this page here.
It was just a routine visit to a New York City dental clinic for 3 year old William Kennerly and his mother. He had a cleaning which was followed by a fluoride treatment. After the treatment was finished, William complained of dizziness and a headache. Shortly thereafter, he started sweating and vomiting. He was rushed to Brookdale Ambulatory Pediatric Unit and within two hours he went into a coma. His heart was pumped with adrenaline to revive him, but an hour later he lapsed back into a coma and died. It was determined that William's death was due to fluoride poisoning.
On January 20, 1979, the New York Times reported that the Nassau County toxicologist testified that the amount of fluoride applied to William's teeth was 3 times the amount needed to be fatal. The court found the dentist negligent and awarded damages in the amount of $750,000. As tragic as 3 year old William's death was, it is not an isolated case. Keith Kantor of McMinniville Oregon was also killed by fluoride poisoning. He swallowed a 1/2 teaspoon of the fluoride gel that was soaking his teeth during a treatment .
The incidents are too numerous to mention. Over 10,000 calls are made to poison control centers in the United States each year after children have swallowed toothpaste. In April of 1997, the U.S. Food & Drug Administration made it mandatory for toothpaste manufacturers to carry a warning label on all fluoride toothpaste to protect children. Fluoride has a very low molecular weight and each time you brush your teeth, approximately 0.5 mg. of fluoride is absorbed through the mucus lining of the mouth. According to the Department of health & Human Services, sodium fluoride is not just used to prevent dental caries. It is also a registered rodenticide and pesticide. That's right, sodium fluoride is a rat poison and roach killer.
You may be asking yourself, how could our government allow this? Well, they allow cigarettes to be sold as long as they carry a health warning. We have all assumed that fluoride was a safe and effective chemical, but have you ever wondered where this cavity fighter comes from? If you are not shocked and outraged yet, you will be. Fluoride is a raw, toxic, hazardous waste byproduct from the aluminum and phosphate fertilizer industries. The U.S. Environmental Protection Agency classifies fluoride as more toxic than lead and about equal in toxicity to arsenic. EPA scientist Dr. J. William Hirzy et al, recently testified to that fact before a Senate Subcommittee on drinking water safety.
Dr. Dean Burk, Chief Chemist and Founder of the National cancer Institute has been quoted saying:
Fluoride causes more human cancer and causes it faster than any other chemical.
Dr. Phyllis Mullenix, a neurotoxicologist from Harvard Medical School, was recruited by Forsyth Dental Institute in Boston to conduct studies on the effects of fluoride on the central nervous system. In 1995, she published the results of the research. Her findings determined that fluoride accumulates in the brain and causes behavioral changes, such as hyperactivity if exposed prenatally and hypoactivity if exposed postnatally. She also concluded that fluoride may be diminishing IQ in children. Studies in New Zealand and China confirm Dr. Mullenix's findings. The study from China showed a 5 - 19 point IQ deficit in the children from fluoridated communities as opposed to the children in non-fluoridated areas. In 1998, Roger Masters, a Dartmouth College professor and Myron Coplan, a retired chemical engineer from Natick, Mass., gathered statistical evidence indicating that adolescents who lived in fluoridated areas had higher rates of violent crime. Researchers have also linked fluoride to attention deficit disorder (ADD), hypothyroidism, sudden infant death syndrome, autism and Alzheimer's disease.
The truth of the matter is that there has never been any safety testing performed on the fluorides added to the public water supplies. There have also never been any scientific studies that prove fluoride prevents tooth decay. It's actually quite the contrary. Toronto, a fluoridated city, has a higher decay rate than Vancouver, which has never fluoridated it's water. The same is true for the New York cities of Kingston and Newburgh. After 50 years of gathering statistics, non-fluoridated Kingston has a lower decay rate than fluoridated Newburgh.
Therefore, fluoridation is a complete scientific fraud.
Adding this pollutant to drinking water has absolutely nothing to due with dental health. It's basically a waste management tool for industries to dilute their toxic waste, rather than spend millions of dollars to treat and dispose of it properly. Fluoride waste is also contaminated with lead, arsenic, mercury and radium. Is it any wonder why fluoride is a main constituent of the nerve gas Sarin?
Annually, 200 - 500,000 tons of this hazardous waste is being dumped directly into our drinking water under the guise of a dental health panacea. In my opinion, the scariest part of fluoridation is that by adding this toxin into our water supplies, it is now getting into our food chain. Most foods and beverages are processed with tap water. Kellogg's fruit Loops are made in in Battle Creek, Michigan, where they fluoridate their water. Chemical analysis shows that fruit Loops have twice the amount of fluoride than the Public health Service allows in water supplies. Gerber's Berry Punch has over 3 times the recommended level of fluoride. Don't forget, fluoride is used as a pesticide and may be sprayed on the fruits that go into juices. These juices are also commonly grown in soils irrigated with fluoridated water. This may account for the high levels of fluoride in juice.
Have you ever seen someone with opaque white spots on their teeth? This is what's called dental fluorosis. Fluorosis is the first outwardly visible sign of fluoride overdose. This occurs while the teeth are forming. We only excrete 50% of the fluoride we ingest, the remainder builds up in the body and seeks your bones and connective tissue like a magnet. What is being diagnosed as arthritis is often really skeletal fluorosis.
A quote from a former fluoride advocate: Dr. Hardy Limeback, D.D.S., head of the Department of Preventive Dentistry for the University of Toronto and president of the Canadian Association for Dental Research:
Dentists have absolutely no training in toxicity. Your well intentioned dentist is simply following 50 years of misinformation on fluoride's safety and efficacy from public health and the dental association. Me too, unfortunately, we were wrong. For the past 15 years I had refused to study the toxicology information that was readily available to anyone. Poisoning our children was the furthest thing from my mind.