Leeks share many of the same health benefits of onions and garlic, but with a milder and sweeter taste. This recipe combines the delicate flavor of leeks and potatoes with the delicious richness of smoked salmon to make a creamy, hearty and nourishing soup.
- small knob of butter
- 2 medium-sized leeks, finely sliced
- 500g potatoes, diced
- 500ml chicken or vegetable stock
- 50ml double cream
- 100g smoked salmon, cut into strips
- Chopped parsley to garnish
- Heat the butter in a saucepan and add the leeks. Season them will salt and pepper and cook them over a low heat for 5-8 minutes or until they are soft, then add the potatoes and stir through until they are coated in the butter.
- Pour over the stock and cream and bring to a gentle simmer. Cover the soup and let it simmer for 10-15 minutes, or until the potatoes are tender.
- Blend half of the soup in a food processor, or roughly run a hand blender through it to give a thickened but still chunky-textured soup.
- Add two-thirds of the smoked salmon and stir through.
- Serve the soup in bowls garnished with the remaining smoked salmon and parsley.