This delicious, wholesome soup contains broccoli, a highly nutritional vegetable. It is a very simple recipe, using only a handful of ingredients, but tastes delicious and provides an array of healthful benefits. Along with a rich supply of vitamins and minerals, including Vitamin C, folate, Beta-carotene, and potassium, it contains the phytochemical sulforaphane, which is associated with reducing the risk of cancer.
- 400g broccoli
- 25g butter
- 1 small onion
- 500ml hot vegetable stock
- 300ml milk
- pinch of cumin seeds
- soft cheese to serve (e.g. goats cheese or feta cheese)
- Chop the broccoli stalks and florets, but keep them separate. Melt the butter in a pan, then add the onion, broccoli stalks and cumin and fry for 5 minutes until soft.
- Add the broccoli florets and stock, then the milk. Cover and simmer gently for 8 minutes until the broccoli is tender.
- Blend the mixture in a food processor or with a hand blender roughly, leaving the soup slightly lumpy for texture. If you prefer, blend it to a smooth mixture.
- Season the soup, reheat and serve with soft cheese and toasted bread.