This is a recipe for a very quick and simple, but delicious spicy fish curry flavored with coconut milk. Coconut is a highly nutritious health food and using coconut milk is an excellent way of incorporating coconut into your diet.
The recipe works best with firm fish, but you can use any white fish of your choice, such as haddock, cod or halibut.
For the curry:
For the marinade:
- ½ tbsp fresh minced ginger
- ½ tbsp fresh minced garlic
- ½ tsp turmeric powder
- ½ tsp red chili powder
- 1 tsp freshly ground coriander
- 2 tbsp water
- Make the curry paste by grinding all marinade ingredients together until well blended. Rub the fish pieces with the marinade and set aside for 15-20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, heat the oil in a wide pan. Add the mustard, fennel and cumin seeds. Once they crackle and pop add the onions.
- Sauté the onions for about 10 minutes or until they turn golden brown.
- Next add the tomatoes and tomato puree. Add salt to taste and stir fry for a few minutes.
- Add the coconut milk and bring to the boil. Place the fish pieces in the pan along with the chopped green chili. Mix gently and simmer on low heat for about 3-4 minutes or till the fish is cooked.
- Garnish the curry with fresh coriander and serve with boiled brown rice.