Living in a damp or moldy home is also harmful to the health of children according to scientists at the Environmental Health Unit, NCPHP, Sofia, Bulgaria. Mold may cause stuffiness, eye irritation, wheezing, skin irritation, shortness of breath, rhinitis, nasal congestion, conjunctival inflammation, asthma, and fever. Buy Combivent.
Currently, there are no EPA regulations or standards for airborne mold contaminants, so it´s up to individuals to control mold in the home.
Mold spores grow when they land on a damp surface. Many surfaces can be contaminated with mold, including wood, paper, carpet, and ceiling tiles. To control mold:
In areas where there is a perpetual moisture problem, do not install carpeting (i.e., by drinking fountains, by classroom sinks, or on basement floors with leaks or frequent condensation).
When looking for a new home, it is important to inspect it carefully for mold. Mold can hide inside walls, under carpets, and in attics. Passing a professional mold inspection should be included as a contingency on an offer to buy a home.
People with chemical sensitivities need to be extremely careful around mold and should not occupy a home that has had a mold infestation. Living in areas where there is relatively little moisture is not always adequate protection from mold. Dried mold spores also cause health problems. Phoenix, AZ is an example of a deceivingly dry area with a high count of dried mold spores.
With a little forethought and prevention, home sweet home can be home safe home too.
Source: An article by Lourdes Salvador.
Share or Bookmark this page: You will need to have an account with the selected service in order to post links or bookmark this page.