Watercress is full of nutritional benefits, and is especially rich in Vitamin C
. This soup
has a distinct peppery flavor and is very quick and easy to make.
To enjoy the full health benefits of this soup and to retain its vibrant green color, do not overcook the watercress.
- 1 tbsp olive oil/butter
- ¼ onion, diced
- 110g/4oz watercress
- 1 medium potato, cubed
- 200ml/5fl oz vegetable stock
- 55ml/2fl oz double cream
- 2 tbsp fresh mint, chopped
- salt and pepper to taste
- Melt the butter or oil in a medium saucepan.
- Add the onion and fry for 1-2 minutes.
- Add the potatoes and fry them gently for 2-3 minutes, then add the stock.
- Bring to the boil and simmer gently until the potatoes are soft.
- Add the watercress and allow it to wilt down slightly.
- Transfer the soup to a food processor or with a hand-held mixer, blitz until smooth.
- Return the soup to the pan, add the cream and simmer for a further 2-3 minutes.
- Add the mint before removing soup from heat.
- Season with salt and pepper and serve.