This filling soup
is a great winter warmer. Butternut squash
is a good source of Vitamin A
(in the form of beta-carotene), as well as Vitamin C
The nutritionally beneficial nigella seeds provide a flavorsome addition to this soup; they taste like oregano and have the slight bitterness of mustard seeds.
Any other type of squash can be substituted instead of butternut squash.
- Heat the oil in a large pan, add the onion and garlic and fry until lightly coloured.
- Add the nigella seeds and chili, then fry for 1 min.
- Add the squash and stock, then bring to the boil. Stir well, cover, then simmer for 10-15 minutes, or until the squash is tender.
- Puree the soup in a blender or food processor, with the parsley.
- Return the soup to the pan, reheat and serve.