Spinach is an excellent source of iron
and folic acid
, as well as fiber
, Vitamin C
and vitamin K
. This flavorsome and colorful soup
makes an excellent starter or light lunch, and is made even more filling and nutritious with the addition of the poached egg
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- ½ onion, finely chopped
- 1 garlic clove, finely chopped
- 200g fresh spinach leaves
- 200ml hot chicken or vegetable stock
- 75ml milk
- 25g butter
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 free-range eggs, poached, to serve (optional)
- Heat the olive oil in a saucepan, add the onion and fry for 2-3 minutes, or until softened. Add the garlic and fry for a further minute.
- Stir in half of the spinach and leave to wilt in the pan for 1-2 minutes, then add the stock, milk and butter and simmer for 5-6 minutes. Stir in the remaining spinach, season well with salt and freshly ground black pepper and cook for a further minute until the spinach is wilted.
- Using a hand-held blender or food processor, blend the soup until smooth.
- To serve, ladle the soup into a serving bowl and top with the poached egg.