These deliciously soft, crumbly cookies are made with coconut oil
instead of butter
, and also contain shredded coconut
, so they are a great way of incorporating coconut
into your diet
. They provide all the amazing health
benefits of coconuts and coconut oil
in a mouth-watering snack.
These cookies use half the amount of sugar as conventional biscuits, so they are not as sweet. Instead, the shredded coconut, walnuts, oats and cinnamon provide flavor and a slight sweetness to the cookies.
This recipe makes about 30 cookies and each cookie contains approximately half a tablespoon of coconut oil.
- ½ cup unrefined raw cane sugar
- ¾ cup coconut oil
- 2 large eggs
- ½ tsp vanilla extract
- 1 ½ cups plain flour
- 1 cup oats
- ½ cup shredded (dessicated) coconut
- ½ tsp baking soda (bicarbonate of soda)
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- ¼ tsp salt
- ½ cup walnuts, chopped
- Mix together the sugar, liquid coconut oil, eggs and vanilla.
- In a separate bowl, combine the flour, oats, shredded coconut, baking soda, cinnamon and salt. Stir this with the wet mixture. Work quickly before the coconut oil starts to harden - you may need to use your hands. Fold in the walnuts.
- Roll the mixture into 1 ½-inch balls and place on a baking sheet 2 inches apart, flattening the balls slightly.
- Bake in a preheated oven, gas mark 5 or 190°C (375°F) for 10 minutes or until the cookies are golden brown.