pudding recipe uses brown rice
, which is much healthier than the white version. Whole grain brown rice
contains all parts of the rice
kernel, meaning that it retains all its original nutrients. This includes lignans (plant chemicals found especially in flaxseeds that have high estrogenic and antioxidant
activity), and other important nutrients such as thiamine, niacin, phosphorus
, and five times the fiber
of white rice
This recipe can be sweetened with honey and/or Stevia if you don't want to use sugar, or a combination of all three. Stevia is an all natural plant-derived sweetener that contains no calories. The coconut milk, shredded coconut and spices give it a warming quality, and the ginger is great for digestion.
- Soak the rice for at least 4 hours.
- Wash the rice and put all the ingredients into a medium saucepan and bring to a boil over medium-high heat.
- As soon as the liquid begins to boil, reduce the heat to low and stir until the liquid is gently simmering.
- Cook for 40 minutes to 1 hour, stirring with a whisk every 10-15 minutes. After about an hour, most of the liquid will have been absorbed by the rice, and the rice should have a tender but chewy texture.
- Serve the pudding hot with raisins or other dried fruit or chopped nuts. You can add the dried fruit in for the last 10 minutes of cooking time if you like them plump and juicy.